Friday, June 4, 2010

The Raccoon Situation

Today we lost 50 eggs out 118, from a brand new nest.  This is the second time this has happened, the first time loosing 18.

We've been given some traps to set on the beach, some cat food to bait them with, and a rifle.

There is no relocation of trapped raccoons.  We're on an island, and they will eventually make it back to the beach.  Nest predation is a learned behavior, and once they learn it, they'll keep doing it.  So the only option, is lethal removal.

I have no problem with this management plan.  I also have no problem trapping them.  I'm not sure however, if I can stick the barrel of the rifle into the cage, and dispatch of the little critters at point blank range.  While I'm excited to kill some hogs, as they're terribly invasive,  I've never intentionally killed an animal outside of seafood and insects.  The raccoons are pretty cute, and they're just trying to eat.  It's not even guaranteed that the ones we catch are the ones that have learned to steal the eggs, or just regular coons, lured in by the cat food.

I know this is necessary to protect the turtles, I'm just not sure I'll have it in me.  I guess we'll find out in a few days.  Luckily if I decide not to pull the trigger, we have people who will.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment