Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Tour of the Main House

Tuesday morning started if off extra early with Steve rolling out of bed at 315AM.  He said he couldn't sleep any longer.  I didn't mind, but there was no way I was getting up that early.  He woke me up for breakfast at 5 and we were on the road by 540.  I started my drive north hoping to locate the next three nests on Bradley to hit 100.  It turns out I only had a false crawl below high tide.  Weird.  I was on the north end of the beach by 630.  With so little time spent on locating nests, I used my plastic screens to rescreen the metal ones.  I also uncovered more nests that had been hidden by the blowing sand of a few days ago.  After two hours of that, I headed over to North Middle to patrol.  I didn't find anything over there either.  I spent some more time uncovering some nests, and baiting raccoon traps.  
I spoke with Steve earlier and he told me he didn't have a single crawl, but instead spent his time recovering more stuff that keeps washing ashore from the flipped boat.  Today he brought home a nice big fish net, a boat seat and cushion.  

Steve headed home earlier than I, and used his spare time to change the oil in the Mule.  He also spray painted some rust spots on the floor - have to keep up on the maintenance.  I brought the bicycle home so he could tune it up too.  On my way home, I picked flowers for Mrs. West.  After visiting Buckhead, we promised each other we'd go see her.  When I got home I noticed Steve stopped at the culvert and brought home crabs for lunch.  He also cooked up some fish he caught the other day.  After a bit of relaxing, we decided it was time to head to the main house.

When we arrived, we spent a minute petting the horses.  I walked up to the side door and yelled in.  We were greeted by Winnie, a former Genesis Project member and summer caretaker for Mrs. West.  Winnie told us that Mrs. West was napping, so instead she gave us a tour of the first floor.  The house is amazing.  There are (were) servants quarters, three kitchens, a large formal dining room, a huge living room, and many guest rooms.  The tile is imported from Italy.  The artwork is from all over, from all periods.  Two personal autographs from two presidents, animal heads killed from wild lands long, long ago.  So much of the house is original, it's like a museum.  Everywhere you look is something that warrants closer inspection, without being too nosy, of course.  Winnie, Steve and I shared some stories, and after about an hour, Steve and I left.  We'll return again soon, hopefully getting to meet Mrs. West.  

We finished the afternoon with more turtle chores, cutting more screens, loading up the Mule.  I made two signs to post on South Middle to keep people away from the nesting birds.  The Oystercacther nest will hatch very soon, and I'd hate if people continued to walk near the chicks.  A colony of 10 Least Terns are still congregating near the Oystercatchers, hopefully with nests, or preparing to nest.  Steve and I are also patiently awaiting the Wilson's Plover chicks at NB31.  It's been about 30 days, so it could be any time that we see the new babies.  I just hope we have the telephoto lens to catch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment